These are the 10 staple items that every teen and young adult should have in their closet. When finding staple pieces you want to focus on items that will last season to season and year to year.
1. Chuck Taylor’s- “Chucks” as I like to call them- have been around forever, they are the most stylish sneakers you can buy. They scream personality, and best of all you can custom design your very own pair! They’re great for days when you want a more casual laid back look, but don’t want to walk around in those bulky girl versions of the sneakers the boys wear. What’s even better, is that they’ll only set you back about $60.00 bucks, which means you can buy one in a crazy color and another pair in a neutral. Try http://www.converse.com, Marshall’s, DSW or http://www.Zappos.com. You can really find them anywhere and always at a great price!
Image Via Converse.com
2. White Tee- not the “Hanes your way” tee, and definitely not the $90.00 Gwyneth Paltrow tee, but a nice loose-fitting, classic white tee that you can pick up at stores like H&M. You can wear the tee with a Blazer, pair it with some skinny jeans, or glam it up with a luxe necklace and a cute high-wasted mini skirt! They’re great because they go with everything, are super easy to accessorize. Since they don’t cost much, you can stock up on three or four. Head down to stores like Forever 21 or H&M to stock up on a few, so you can totally look cool, casual and cute during all those late night study group sessions!
Image Via HM.com
3. Black Skinny Jeans- These are a must have staple for your closet. They can be dressed down with your “chucks” or made a little dressier by adding a heel or a boot. The black skinny Jean is a must have piece for your wardrobe because it’s easy and will go with everything. You can buy a pair at H&M for about $10 bucks.
Image Via HM.com
4. Black Blazer- EVERY girl should have a black blazer in her closet. Great for those days when you want to get your executive look on while heading to class, and even better to have when you’re headed out to those internship interviews! Again check out Forever 21, H&M or Target to get a blazer for less than $50.00 dollars.
Image via H&M.com
5. Flats-You should always have a pair of black or nude flats in your closet. Some days you don’t feel like wearing a heel, and then all days can be a Chuck Taylor kind of day….Plus, the flats go great with the skinny jeans, flatter your cute dress, and look great when paired with tights, a skirt, and a cool white tee! You can get a pair or two at DSW for about $30.00 dollars.
Image via DSW.com
6. Trench Coat-Classic and chic, this is a staple cold-weather item. Places like the Burlington Coat Factory, or Nordstrom Rack have a great selection.
Image Via Nordstrom.com
7. Little Black Dress- UMM Hello! Your closet is not complete until it has the perfect LBD in it. Awesome for your first date, back to school dance, or formals. This will be your go-to dress for a fun night out! Again, it’s versatile (see the trend here?) and will pair great with any piece of jewelry and pair of shoes!
Image via forever21.com
8. Leather Jacket- Everyone should have a leather jacket- Leather Jackets are hot and have always been a staple piece. Madonna rocked them in the 80’s. Nirvana ( “Smells Like Teen Spirit”- Kurt Cobain- good song that Jay-z just sampled) wore them while rocking out in the 90’s , and now girls all over are throwing them on over cute dresses and heading off to class or work. The leather jacket works great with dresses, jeans, skirts or shorts. It is a definite must! Burlington Coat Factory or Marshall’s will have great deals on leather jackets.
Image via polyvore.com
9. Boots-Flat boots, riding boots, combat boots, any boot that suits your particular style will work. Whatever they are, just make sure you’ve got them, because they will become a staple in your wardrobe for every fall and winter to come. Invest in good quality leather boots and you won’t have to worry about replacing them every year. Check out DSW ; they’ll have tons of name-brand quality shoes at discount prices. Sign up to become a member (it’s free!) and receive coupons and birthday discounts!
Image via dsw.com
10. Scarves- They can be worn all season long. Really thick scarfs for winter and light, flowy ones for fall and summer. Scarfs are cheap, easy ways to accessorize any outfit. You can buy them anywhere and usually for no more than fifteen bucks.
Image via forever21.com